We’ve all been there: You’ve just sat down after a long day, ready to watch your favorite show, only to realize that the remote control is nowhere to be found. But don’t worry! In this comprehensive and engaging guide, we’ll walk you through several ways to turn on your Samsung TV without a remote, so you can get back to your relaxation time without any more stress. Whether you’ve misplaced the remote, your batteries have died, or you’re simply looking for alternative options, this article has got you covered.
Keep reading to learn how to operate your Samsung TV using the physical buttons, a universal remote, the Samsung SmartThings app, and even voice control through smart speakers. We’ll break down each method step by step, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free experience for every type of user.
The Basics: Using the Built-in Buttons
Before we venture into more advanced solutions, let’s start with the most basic method: using the built-in buttons on your Samsung TV. Many people are unaware that most Samsung TVs come equipped with physical buttons, which can be used to control essential functions such as power, volume, and input selection.
To turn on your Samsung TV without a remote:
- Locate the built-in buttons: These are usually located on the bottom, side, or back of the TV. They can be small, discreet, and labeled with icons or text.
- Find the power button: The power button is typically marked with a power symbol or the word “POWER.”
- Press the power button: Gently press the power button to turn on your TV. The TV should respond and power up.
Keep in mind that using the built-in buttons might not grant you access to all the functions of your TV, but it will at least allow you to turn it on and enjoy your favorite content while you search for your remote or explore other options.
Universal Remotes: A Convenient Alternative
If you’ve misplaced your Samsung TV remote or it has stopped working, a universal remote can be a great solution. Universal remotes are designed to control multiple devices, including various TV brands and models, making them a convenient and versatile option.
To use a universal remote with your Samsung TV:
- Purchase a universal remote: You can find them at most electronics stores, online retailers, or even your local supermarket.
- Follow the setup instructions: Each universal remote comes with its own setup process, which typically involves entering a code or scanning for compatible devices. Consult the user manual or look up instructions online for your specific remote model.
- Control your Samsung TV: Once the universal remote has been set up to work with your TV, you can use it to turn on the device and access other functions like changing channels, adjusting the volume, and navigating menus.
Smartphone Apps: Turn Your Phone into a Remote
In today’s digital age, smartphones have become indispensable tools. So why not use your smartphone to control your TV? There are several apps available on Android and iOS devices that can turn your phone into a remote for your television. Some of the most popular apps include:
- Samsung SmartThings (official app)
- Peel Smart Remote
- AnyMote Universal Remote
To use your smartphone as a remote:
- Download and install the app: Choose an app compatible with your phone’s operating system and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
- Connect your phone to your TV: Ensure that both your smartphone and Samsung TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Launch the app and follow the prompts to pair your phone with your TV.
- Control your Samsung TV: Once your phone is connected to your TV, you can use the app to turn on your television, adjust the volume, change channels, and access various TV functions.
Voice Assistants: Command Your TV with Your Voice
If your television is a Smart device or is compatible with voice assistants such as Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, or Bixby, you can use voice commands to control your television without a remote. This can be an incredibly convenient way to turn on your TV and access various features.
To use a voice assistant to control your Samsung TV:
- Set up the voice assistant: If you haven’t already, follow the setup instructions provided by your voice assistant’s manufacturer. This may involve downloading a mobile app or connecting an external device like an Amazon Echo or Google Home.
- Enable voice control for your television: In the settings of your voice assistant app, ensure that your Samsung TV is connected and voice control is enabled.
- Use voice commands: Speak clearly and use the appropriate commands to control your television. For example, to turn on your TV, you might say, “Hey Google, turn on the living room TV” or “Alexa, turn on the TV.”
Remember that voice commands can vary depending on the voice assistant and the specific functions of your television. Be sure to consult the documentation or online resources for a list of supported commands.
HDMI-CEC: Control Your TV with Other Devices
HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) is a feature that allows devices connected via HDMI to control each other. If your Samsung TV and an HDMI-connected device, like a Blu-ray player, gaming console, or streaming device, both support HDMI-CEC, you can use the connected device’s remote to turn on your TV.
To use HDMI-CEC to turn on your Samsung TV:
- Enable HDMI-CEC on your TV: Access your Samsung TV’s settings menu, locate the HDMI-CEC settings (often called Anynet+ on Samsung TVs), and enable the feature.
- Enable HDMI-CEC on the connected device: Consult the user manual or online instructions for your specific device to enable HDMI-CEC.
- Control your Samsung TV with the connected device’s remote: Once HDMI-CEC is enabled on both your TV and the connected device, you can use the device’s remote to turn on your Samsung TV and control other basic functions.
Invest in a Smart Plug
A smart plug is a device that connects to your Wi-Fi network, allowing you to control the power supply of any appliance plugged into it through a smartphone app or voice commands. By connecting your Samsung TV to a smart plug, you can turn it on and off without a remote.
To use a smart plug with your Samsung TV:
- Purchase a smart plug: Choose a smart plug compatible with your Wi-Fi network and preferred voice assistant.
- Set up the smart plug: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to connect the smart plug to your Wi-Fi network and set it up with your preferred voice assistant or smartphone app.
- Plug your Samsung TV into the smart plug: Unplug your TV from the wall outlet and plug it into the smart plug.
- Control your Samsung TV: Use the smartphone app or voice commands to turn on your Samsung TV by turning the smart plug on or off.
Don’t miss our detailed guide on how to connect your VR device to Samsung TV.
Losing or misplacing your television remote doesn’t have to ruin your television viewing experience. With these methods, you can easily turn on your Samsung TV and regain control over your entertainment.
Whether you use the built-in buttons, a universal remote, a smartphone app, a voice assistant, HDMI-CEC, or a smart plug, there’s a solution that will work for you. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy your favorite shows and movies without worrying about where that pesky remote has gone.